Category Archives: Work in progress

The project of this web-site that are currently work in process, including also abandoned projects that were never completed.

TextureMind Framework – Work in progress

The CJS Framework that I was developing in my spare time now has been changed into TextureMind (TM) Framework. That happened for different kind of reasons. When I created the CJS framework, my first aim was to target multiple languages, using a valid and interchangable way to serialize a full set of classes. That could be useful if you want to program an application in C++ that is meant to run only on pc-desktop (e.g. a server or a map editor) that produces data for applications programmed in C#, Java or Javascript, that are meant to run on mobile devices or web browsers (e.g. clients or videogames). The ambitious purpose was to produce a new brand framework with a full set of functionalities and classes to make it the new standard for computer programming, in general. Well, even if it could be a good idea, it is too ambitious for a single person and, for job reasons, I don't have the time for doing it anymore. I changed what I've done since now to TextureMind Framework, that won't be an open-source project or released but used just by me to produce softwares where interchangability and performance are a problem for the maintainance of the projects. For instance, a simple program like GemFinder could have benefited if I had used this kind of framework to develop it. Even if ported to mobile devices with C#, I could easly port the internal format to save settings and images with the already implemented set of classes for multiple languages. Moreover, during my experience I have understood how heavy the already existing frameworks are in terms of amount of code and external dependencies, so I want to create something lighter that could equally satisfy my expectations and eventually evolve into a set of solutions to facilitate the productions of projects for Computer Vision, 3D engines and videogames.

Continue reading

Announcement: GemFinder V5.0 (work in progress)

After thinking for a long time, I decided to produce the 5th edition of GemFinder using the brand new CJS framework. It's still a project in its infacy but I'm pretty sure about the new features that this program will have (if you like the genre, this is going to be amazing). The huge news is that the software will be crossplatform and totally programmable in it's main components: screen capture -> image analysis -> decision maker -> input repeater.

It works exactly in this way:

- Each component implements a default algorithm to make the program work. If you use the default component, you have to do nothing at all.

- If you are a software developer, you can change the internal code with a JIT language and save the source code in the configuration file. Like a shader, you don't need to build the source code.

- The JIT language is basically C and allow you to dynamically link an external library, so you can implement your own algoritm in another existing language (using directx, opengl, opencl...).

- You are not forced to reprogram all the components by scratch, so you can change only the components you want to.

Continue reading

Super Mario Bros for Amstrad CPC 464

When i was a little kid I remember that i really wanted to create a Super Mario Bros game for the amstrad cpc 464. Now that I am 33 and I work as a software engineer I asked myself: why don't you make your old dream come true? :) Finally I found the time to create a demo with the famous first Level 1-1 of Super Mario Bro:

The horizontal hardware scrolling needs a double buffer in order to get an accuracy of 4 pixels. The demo runs on original Amstrad CPC 464 speed emulated by Caprice. It is pretty fast and can loop horizontally with a limit of 512 tiles meanwhile the level 1-1 takes only 212 tiles. I readjusted the original smb graphics to fit a 256x192 Mode 1 with 4 colors. I really like the effect of the gray scale map mixed with the blue sky, like in the original NES game. This demo has been programmed with SDCC in C and Z80 assembly.

Continue reading

An old Mario64 clone – Demo version

Years ago I coded a 3d engine to create my own clone of super mario 64. The name of the project was Chronicle Time Quest and it never reached its final release or a version that was remotely playable. Unfortunately it was abandoned years ago for lack of time, resources and interests. However, it was  usefull as coding experience and the result wasn't so bad at all, so I have decided to publish this video to show something about it.

Probably this project will be restored as soon as possible, with a new concept (probably similar to the mario galaxy one) and a totally new 3d engine. If you like this idea or the video or the concept or whatever you want, please, write a comment to let me know what you think about it. Thanks.

Gianpaolo Ingegneri
Copyright @ 2010 – All right reserved